The Department of Film Studies offers Two years (Four Semesters) M.A. course in Film Studies. This course is a blending of Academic and Professional outlook. The aims and objectives of the Department are to develop the skills of a student to appreciate and analyse a film and to provide a comprehensive idea about how to make a film.
Courses Offered with Specialization :
M.A. in Film Studies with specialisation in Photography, Documentary and Short Fiction Film.
Student Database (Intake Capacity, Net/Gate/Set etc, Employment Details and Any Other Relevant Info) : 27 (Twenty Seven). Though there is no provision of NET/SET Examination at present in this subject, still a good number of pass out students of this department are at present attached with Film and Television Industry of Tollywood and Bollywood. A few of them are working as Part Time and Contractual Faculties in Colleges under University of Calcutta where Film Studies is being taught as subject under General Course.
M.Phil/Ph.D. Course has not been initiated in this Department yet.
Seminars/Workshops Organised :
1. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Screenplay in Film’ by Mr. Tarun Majumdar in 2009.
2. Special Invited Lecture on ‘History of Film’ by Father Gaston Roberge in 2009.
3. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Cinematography in Film’ by Mr. Soumendu Roy in 2010.
4. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Film Theory’ by Father Gaston Roberge in 2010.
5. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Film Language’ by Mr. Dhiman Dasgupta in 2010.
6. Special Invited Lecture on ‘History of Film’ by Prof. Biren Das Sharma in 2010.
7. Two Day National Level Seminar titled ‘In Search of Indian Film Theory’ was held during 17th-18th May, 2010.
8. A fortnight long Training Programme and Workshop on ‘Editing of Film’ was organised in 2010.
9. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Music in Film’ by Prof. Gautam Ghosh in 2011.
10. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Cinematography in Film’ by Prof. Adinath Das in 2011.
11. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Production & Direction in Film’ by Mr. Atanu Ghosh in 2011.
12. A fortnight long Training Programme and Workshop on ‘Editing of Film’ was organised in 2011.
13. Seminar titled ‘Animation : A Heart to Heart Talk’ was held on 14th May, 2012.
14. Three month long Practical Training Session on ‘Film Editing’ was conducted in 2012.
15. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Acting’ by Dr. Shankar Ghosh in 2013.
16. Workshop on ‘Cinematography’ by Mr. Abhisekh Ganguly on 2nd April, 2014.
17. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Film Theory & Film Budget ’ by Mr. Sushanta Mukherjee on 8th April, 2014.
18. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Film Direction & Critical Appreciation’ by Mr. Raja Mitra on 17th April, 2014.
19. Special Invited Lecture on ‘Acting’ by Mr. Debashis Bose on 19th November, 2014.
20. Seminar on ‘Hundred Years of Indian Cinema’ by Prof. Debleena Roy on 16th March, 2015.
21. Workshop on ‘Basics of Videography’ by Mr. Abhisekh Ganguly on 17th March, 2015.
22. Seminar on ‘Amar Chokhe Bikash Roy’ by Dr. Shankar Ghosh on 25th March, 2015.
23. Seminar on ‘Script to Screen’ by Mr. Raja Mitra on 2nd April, 2015.
24. Workshop on ‘Handling of Actor’ by Ms. Sophie Maulik on 7th April, 2015.
25. Seminar on ‘Sahitya Theke Chalachchitra : Prasanga Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne’ by Prof. Mau Dutta on 6th May, 2015.
26. Workshop on ‘Videography with Light’ by Mr. Abhisekh Ganguly on 12th May, 2015.
Existing Guest Faculties :
1. Prof. Partha Raha – (a) Retired Associate Professor and Former Principal, Netaji Nagar College for Women, Kolkata; (b) Guest Faculty, Department of Journalism & Mass Communication, University of Calcutta; (c) Guest Faculty, Media Studies, Film & Television, Kalyani University; (d) Chairman, U.G. Board Studies in Film Studies, University of Calcutta.
2. Prof. Ashoke Viswanathan – (a) Former Guest Faculty, Department of Film Studies, Jadavpur University; (b) Guest Faculty, Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute, Kolkata, (c) Guest Faculty, Film & Television Institute of India, Pune; (d) Guest Faculty, Department of Mass Communication & Videography, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata.
3. Prof. Gautam Chakraborty – (a) Guest Faculty, Film & Television Institute of India, Pune; (b) Guest Faculty, National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad; (c) Guest Faculty, Roopkala Kendro, Kolkata; (d) Guest Faculty, Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute, Kolkata.
4. Prof. Partha Pratim Burman – (a) Guest Faculty, Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute, Kolkata; (b) Guest Faculty, Weign & Leigh Institute, Kolkata; (c) Guest Faculty, Roopkala Kendro, Kolkata.
5. Prof. Sarmistha Dutta Roy – (a) Head of the Department and Lecturer (Part Time) of Department of Film Studies, Muralidhar Girls’ College, Kolkata.
Former Guest Faculties :
1. Prof. Biren Das Sharma – (a) Associate Professor, Department of Direction and Screenplay Writing, Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute, Kolkata.
2. Prof. Adinath Das – (a) Cinematographer, Chitrabani, Kolkata.
3. Mr. Judhajit Sarkar – (a) Film Director, (b) Former Faculty, Media Science, N.S.H.M., Kolkata.
4. Rev. Fr. Gaston Roberge – (a) Founder-Director, Chitrabani, Kolkata and Film Scholar, (b) Assistant Professor, Department of Film Studies, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata.
5. Prof. Gopalan Mullik – (a) Former Head of the Department, Department of Film Studies, St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata.
6. Mr. Utpal Sarkar – (a) Professional.
7. Mr. Atanu Chakraborty – (a) Professional, Sound.
8. Mr. Rupchand Kundu – (a) Film Production Designer & Director, Kolkata.
9. Mr. Barun De Joarder – (a) Freelance Cinematographer, Kolkata.
10. Mr. Sabyasachi Banerjee – (a) Visiting Faculty, Kolkata Film & Television Institute, Kolkata; (b) Reality Director, Co-Director, Assistant Director of Photography, Reality Camera Person, Assistant Camera Person, Documentary Maker.
11. Mr. Prabal Bose – (a) Cinematographer, Kolkata and Mumbai.
12. Mr. Sushovan Chatterjee – (a) Cinematographer, Kolkata.
13. Mr. Manas Bhattacharya – (a) Cinematographer, Kolkata.
14. Mr. Sukanta Majumdar – (a) Sound Designer, Sound Artist & Audiographer.
Other Information :
Documentaries and Short Fiction Films made by the students of this Department have received praiseworthy reaction from the domain of film critics. The Documentaries, Short Fiction Films produced and directed by the students of this Department have been screened in various Film and Documentary Festivals organized by several Institutions, N.G.O.s including the Kolkata International Film Festival. The students of this Department have participated and presented papers in various seminars, conferences including West Bengal State Science and Technology Congress 2013 organized by Council and Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of West Bengal and International Conference organized by Durgapur Institute of Technology. A series of Special Invited Lectures has been organized by the Department to celebrate the ‘Hundred Years of Indian Cinema’ in 2014.
Achievements of Students
A. Professional :
(i) Students of this Department have made documentaries on ‘Brick Industry of Barasat’, ‘Impact of West Bengal State University on the Livelihood of Surrounding Area’ and ‘Computer and Education’ which have received praiseworthy reaction from the domain of Film Critics.
(ii) A Short Documentary Film produced and directed by the students of this Department was screened in the Kolkata International Film Festival in 2011.
(iii) Two of the pass out students of 2008-2010 session and one of the student of 2009-2011 session of this department are working in Production and Direction in Bengali Film Industry of Tollygunge, Kolkata.
(iv) The documentaries made by the students of this Department was exhibited in the First Documentary Festival organized by ‘Aasmania’(A N.G.O.) held during 14th-15th January, 2012 in Kolkata.
(v) Mr. Shapath Roy Choudhury, a pass out student worked as Assistant Director of ‘Sajarur Kanta’ A Bengali Feature Film directed by Mr. Saibal Mitra in 2015. He is working at present in other projects.
(vi) Ms. Poly Das, a pass out student is assisting Bollywood Director Soojit Sarkar in his directorial ventures.
(vii) Ms. Debotroyee Nandy, a pass out student is working as Desk Reporter in ‘Prayag’ Newspaper published from Kolkata.
(viii) Ms. Juthika Nazir, a student of 2014-2016 is working at present as Presenter in Yuvavani (A.I.R.) Kolkata.
B. Academic :
(i) Mr. Jayanta Basu and Mr. Uttarayan Sengupta two students of 2008-2010 session are working as Part Time Faculty in Department of Film Studies in Netajinagar College for Women, Kolkata.
(ii) Mr. Jayanta Basu, one of the students of 2008-2010 session of this department has initiated his Ph.D. Research Work on ‘Cultural Studies’. His name has been registered as a Ph. D. Research Scholar of ‘Ancient Indian History and Culture’ under the Department of History, University of Calcutta.
(iii) Mr. Raj Dutta and Ms. Chirashree Roy, two Students of 2012-2014 session presented papers in West Bengal State Science & Technology Congress in 2013.
(iv) Mr. Raj Dutta, a student of 2012-2014 session presented paper in International Seminar organized by Durgapur Institute of Technology in 2013.
Future Plan in Research and Teaching :
a. In Emerging Areas :
The Department has identified four divisions as emerging areas in Film viz. Camera and Light Division, Edit Division, Sound Division and Direction Division.
b. Introduced :
The Department has already introduced the writing technique of Television Script and Screenplay of Film under Direction Division in the syllabus of M.A. in Film Studies.
c. Proposed :
The Department has already submitted budget proposal required for purchase of Equipments along with supporting infrastructure and accessories in Research and Teaching of Film Studies to the University Authority. It includes Canon EOS 60D kit 18-200mm Camera, 50mm : f/1.8 Lens; Editing Suite-Mac-Pro with FCP Edu. Version, Sound Editing Software-Windows with Premier CS8 and Nuendo; Tascam DR-100 MKII Recorder, Zoom H5 Portable Handy Recorder, Sennheiser ME66 Microphone, Sennheiser G2 Lapel, HD180Over-Ear Headphone, Sennheiser Boom Rod; Transcend Store Jet 25 H3 1TB External Hard Disk with Power Adapter, Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 Multimedia Speaker; Panasonic PA-DMPBD-77GA-K (Black) DVD Player, Sony 40 Full HD LED 40R482B Digital Television, 136’’ Diagonal Giant White Screen with Stand etc.
Linkages with Other Institutions :
1. Roopkala Kendro, Kolkata (An Indo-Italian Institute for Film & Social Communication).
2. I.I.I.M., I.T. Wing of Department of Youth Welfare, Government of West Bengal.
Individual Faculty Profile
1. Name, Designation, Educational Qualification :
Pallav Mukhopadhyay; Assistant Professor in Department of Journalism & Mass Communication and Coordinator, Department of Film Studies; M.A. in Journalism & Mass Communication and Doing Ph. D. Research under University of Calcutta.
2. Research Interest and Areas :
Terrorism & Media, Communication, Information & Culture, Bengali and Hindi Mainstream and Middle Stream Film, Gender Studies etc.
3. Papers Presented in Seminars (Max 5) :
1. ‘Role of Newspapers in Covering Maoist Terrorism in West Bengal : A Case Study’ in 36th All India Sociological Conference organised by Indian Sociological Society in 2010.
2. ‘Impact of Terrorist Strike in Mumbai (26/11) on Indian Media : A Case Study’ in 1st International Conference of South Asian Society of Criminology and Victimology (SASCV) organised by South Asian Society of Criminology and Victimology (SASCV) in 2011.
3. ‘Role of Media in Projecting Development Needs of Women : A Case Study’ in International Conference on “Relevance of Policy Reforms on Development : Challenges before Emerging Economies” organised by Department of Social Work, Jamia Millia Islamia in 2011.
4. ‘Representation of Environment in the Newspapers of West Bengal : A Case Study’ in International Seminar on “Global Environmental Issues : Challenges to Industry, Ecology and Society” organised by Integrated Research and Development Foundation (IRDF) in 2011.
5. ‘Digital News Media – Opportunities and Challenges : An Analysis’ in International Seminar on “Issues of Journalistic Ethics and Freedom in the Contemporary Age of Digital Media” organised by Department of Journalism & Mass Communication, University of Calcutta in 2012.
4. Publications (Best 5) (since 2009) :
1. ‘Impact of Globalization on International News Flow : A Critical Appraisal’ in International Journal of Communication Development, Edited by Dr. Durgesh Tripathi, Vol.2, Issue 1, April-June, 2012, p. 3-12, ISSN 2231-2498.
2. ‘Are Media really fulfilling its Social Responsibility in Indian Democracy? – A Critical Perspcetive’ in Research Process (International Journal of the Social Research Foundation) Edited by Sanjay B. Salunke, Vol. 1 Number 1 January-June, 2013, p. 80-95, ISSN 2321-211X.
3. ‘Representation of Poverty in Indian Mainstream Hindi Films (1947-1990) : A Case Study’ in Film International Edited by Daniel Lindvall, Vol. 11 No. 3-4, 2013, p.123-133, ISBN 9- 771651-682006.
4. ‘Representation of Women in Mainstream Bollywood Hindi Films : A Case Study’, 40-64’ in Indian Texts & Representations : De-Stereotyped Perspectives Edited by Kaustav Chakraborty, Lap Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Deutschland/Germany, 2013, p. 40-64, ISBN : 978-3-659-33265-4.
5. “Commoditization of News : A Challenge to Serious Journalism in India” (Book on Journalism, Sole Authorship) Lap Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Deutschland/Germany, 2013, ISBN : 978-3-659-50993-3.
5. Awards received during the last 6 yrs at WBSU :
Awarded as “Best Research Paper” on Popularization of Science in 17th W.B. State Science & Technology Congress in 2010 and 20th W.B. State Science & Technology Congress in 2013 respectively organized by Council & Deptt. of Science & Technology, Govt. of West Bengal.