West Bengal State University
Internal Quality Assurance Cell
- Academic Administrative Audit: The IQAC devised an elaborate framework to enable individual Departments to understand their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and challenges. On the basis of this framework, the IQAC arranged for Academic Administrative Audits of the various Departments. External subject experts were appointed to assess the audit forms and advise the Departments. Records of audits are maintained by the IQAC.
- Career Advancement through PBAS: The IQAC deploys a rigorous method to check the academic performance of the in-service teachers and evaluate their quality for promotion under the Career Advancement Scheme (CAS). It assumes a two-tier method to evaluate the applications of the teachers. The in-house members of the IQAC first examine all the categories and corresponding API scores thoroughly in accordance with the extant UGC and State Government guidelines. Incomplete or flawed applications are then returned to respective teachers with necessary advice for correction. The accepted applications are sent for final evaluation in the formal IQAC meeting which involves three external experts. After final evaluation, the applications are recommended for being placed before the duly constituted screening/selection committees for promotion. Steps are taken by the IQAC Director, in consultation with the Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, to invite screening/selection committees to grant promotions after thorough assessment of the applications. Such a rigorous system has been adopted by the IQAC to ensure that best efforts are made towards an impartial and just assessment of teachers’ academic performances.
- Feedback System: To improve the quality of the teaching-learning process feedbacks forms for parents, students and teachers were designed and introduced by the IQAC. The PG syllabi under the CBCS system were framed by various Departments on the basis of the suggestions and lacunae pointed out in the feedback from the participants at different levels.
- Framing of PG Regulations: The IQAC played an important role in framing the new PG Regulations effective from July 2019. It constituted a PG Regulations Committee which in consultation with the faculty and the IQAC members prepared the relevant regulations, which were later ratified by the Executive Council.
- Framing of the Structure of PG CBCS Syllabi: The general structure of the CBCS PG course was framed by the IQAC involving all the teachers of the University. The Regulation for Post- graduation courses under CBCS was also devised by the IQAC. Therefore, the IQAC initiated a process of evaluating the teaching-learning process, methodologies and learning outcomes at regular intervals.
- Other Quality Initiatives: The IQAC has organised many programmes and courses to enhance the academic standard and research quality at the University from time to time. These included IPR related seminars/workshops and value added courses.
- Role as Mentor: The University IQAC acts as mentor to its affiliated colleges by collaborating with them in organizing quality initiatives and helping them in performing academic administrative audit and preparing for the NAAC accreditation.